nente

A Bit on the Side
William Trevor
Ojos de perro azul
Gabriel García Márquez

The Lottery (Tale Blazers)

The Lottery (Tale Blazers) - Shirley Jackson We live in a world where a 30-year-old man can marry and so legally rape a 10-year-old girl, aided and abetted by her relations - and we really need Ms. Jackson to tell us that blindly following traditions might be a bad thing.
Honestly, the history around this story strongly reinforces the stereotype many outsiders (like me) have about America and Americans: that they only ever care about fellow Americans and are quite unable to relate to anyone else, or find their feelings, sufferings and lives in any way important. Certainly I exaggerate here, not all Americans think that, and those who do, don't think that all of the time. But why harp on this fault yourselves?
So, let's see about this story. All right, the lottery resembles draft. And that is bad, because a random man was sent to war. And war is bad, because the men you sent there die. Stop here.
War is bad, actually, because people die, and it's still bad when there are no Americans among them. So substituting the "sending our men to war is bad" for "war is bad" is, this time I really mean it - BAD. Don't do it.